Spaghetti squash is a winter vegetable rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Spaghetti squash naturally forms noodles when cooked, making it fun to pair with your favourite pasta sauce. You can have in place of spaghetti if you want a lighter meal, or you can mix them together. If you try this recipe, tag us in your photos on Facebook and Instagram @VancouverDietitians!
1 Spaghetti Squash
Avocado / Olive oil (you choose)
1. Cut squash in half
2. Scoop out the seeds and membrane with a spoon
3. Drizzle with oil inside
4. Season with the condiments, as much as you would like.
Side note: Keep in mind, this only seasons the surface layer. You can also wait until after it is baked and ready to be eaten. Then you may season & mix the “noodles”.
5. Pour a ⅓ - ½ cup of water in the dish
6. Poke squash 4-5 times down the middle with a fork
7. Place squash face-up in a baking dish
8. Bake for 30 min at 400˚F or until tender enough for fork to stab through, or you can see browning on top
9. Let cool for 7-10 min
10. Flip them over & scrape the insides with a fork
a. You can scrape the insides almost until you reach the skin. It has quite a lot of squash-content in there.
11. Continue to season however you’d like (I highly recommend squeezing fresh lemon juice on top) & enjoy!