Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Ok so we appreciate a good burger. But being more mindful of following a plant-based diet has made us look for alternative options. These black bean quinoa burgers are vegetarian, packed with fiber and protein, and DELICIOUS! Quinoa is a complete vegetarian protein, which means it has all nine essential amino acids. And an added bonus is that black beans are also a great source of protein!
Want to get creative? Add your favorite spices, and garnish with toppings like avocado, salsa, sriracha mayo, fresh greens, and tomatoes!
We made these the other day and started dreaming of sitting by the pool and eating these burgers fresh off the BBQ... Summer, please come quicker!
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup quinoa, dry
1/2 cup finely ground bread crumbs (or oat flour if gluten free)
1 red pepper, finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 garlic glove, finely minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook quinoa according to package directions
2. Mash black beans with a fork, just until there are some whole beans left
3. Add bread crumbs, pepper, onion, garlic, eggs, and spices. Mix thoroughly
4. Add cooked quinoa and mix well
5. Form mixture into 6 large or 8 small burger patties, and place onto well greased pan
6. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown
7. Enjoy on your favorite burger bun with your favorite toppings!
Did you try the recipe? Tag us in your photos on Instagram! @vancouverdietitians. Pictures by Stephanie Dang