You've probably heard before how important eating a healthy breakfast is, but we know it's easier said than done! Here's an easy way to incorporate a healthy breakfast into your busy daily routine.
Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism and fuels your body with the energy and nutrients that it needs for the rest of the day. While breakfast may not be the most important meal of the day (all meals are equally as important!); current research shows that establishing a regular eating pattern can help with blood sugar control, reduce the risk of weight gain, and help to curb appetite throughout the day. Research has found that people who regularly eat breakfast have more balanced diets, are less likely to be overweight, have more success losing weight if already overweight, and have a reduced risk for chronic diseases (such as cardiovascular disease). Eating breakfast within 2 hours of waking up has been shown to reduce food cravings and snacking on unhealthy foods later in the day!
So what sorts of things should you include in a healthy breakfast to fuel your body?
Whole grains (e.g. whole grain toast, oats, cereal)
- Whole grains are a great source of energy, fibre, and B vitamins!
Protein (e.g. Greek yogurt, eggs, nut butters)
- Helps keep you feeling full for longer, also can be a great source of iron!
Vegetables or fruits (e.g. whole fruit, fruit smoothies, baked beans)
- Great source of fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants!
Milk or alternatives (e.g. cow's milk, yogurt, cheese, soy milk)
- A source of protein, and high in calcium and vitamin D for strong bones!
Healthy fats (e.g. nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado)
- Fats help to keep you feeling full for longer, can be a great source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids!
Fluid (e.g. milk, water, coffee, tea)
- Remember, you've just slept for hours so your body is already dehydrated when you wake up, breakfast is a great opportunity to re-hydrate!
Here's a delicious recipe for oatmeal that requires absolutely NO preparation or cooking in the morning - and you can customize just how you want it! Perfect for those busy work or school mornings. We make this recipe a little different every time, depending on what we are feeling like. So change it up to best suit your taste buds!
Recipe: Makes 1 serving.
- 1/2 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/2 cup berries (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons nuts or seeds (chia, ground flax, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, etc.)
- 1 cup milk or alternative (soy, almond, coconut, or other milk will all work)
- Other flavours to add (optional) - dried fruit, cacao powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, shredded coconut, vanilla, matcha - get creative!
1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a jar or other air-tight container and cover.
2. Refrigerate over night (or for at least 4 hours)
3. Serve cold or reheat, as desired. (adjust milk or alternative if you desire a different consistency)