We weren't intending to make vegan brownies, since neither of us are actually vegan. But we stumbled across this recipe from Gimme Some Oven, modified it slightly, and it turned out SO WELL. We (and our families) could not stop eating them, and we had to re-bake a batch only a few days later. *Drool*.
Picture by: Stephanie Dang
- 1/4 cup well-mashed avocado
- 1/2 well-mashed banana
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips if you're not vegan :) )
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together avocado, banana, and oil until smooth. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and water. Mix until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
3. Pour batter into the greased pan and spread evenly . Sprinkle the top with the rest of the chocolate chips. Bake for ~18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
4. Remove and let the brownies cool for 20 minutes before serving. Cut and enjoy!